5.4. The thermostat - check and replacement
Attention! It is impossible to uncover a radiator, to merge cooling liquid or to replace the thermostat, so far the engine hot.
1. Check the level of cooling liquid, tension belts and operation of the sensor of temperature of cooling liquid.
2. If warming up of the engine requires too much time probably the thermostat is closed not completely. In this case it needs to be replaced.
3. If the engine overheats, check temperature of the top hose of a radiator. If it the cold, so thermostat does not open, and it needs to be replaced.
Attention! Do not leave on the car without thermostat. The computer system will be opened that will cause increase in fuel consumption.
4. If the top hose of a radiator hot, so cooling means arrives, and the thermostat is open.
5. Disconnect a wire of the minus plug of the accumulator.
6. Merge cooling liquid.
7. Disconnect the top hose of a radiator from a thermostat casing.
8. Find the thermostat casing located between the top hose of a radiator and the engine.
9. If the branch pipe interfaced to a hose looks strongly worn-out, then at removal of a hose it can be damaged even more. If it occurred, the cover of the thermostat should be replaced.
3.10 Turn off two bolts (are specified by shooters), uncover and get the thermostat from a casing (the Galant engine of 2,0 l is shown.)
10. Turn off bolts and uncover the thermostat (3.10).
11. Get the thermostat from a casing and remember as it was established.
12. Remove traces of old laying and sealant from a surface of a casing of the thermostat and a cover.
3.13 Make sure that the thermostat is installed correctly - otherwise, the engine will overheat that can lead to its damage, (the Galant engine of 2,0 l is shown.)
13. Install the new thermostat in a casing. Check correctness of installation (3.13).
14. Apply a thin film of sealant on both sides of new laying and strengthen it in a casing.
15. Establish a cover of the thermostat and tighten fixing bolts till the required inhaling moment.
16. Connect a hose, and reliably tighten a collar.
17. Fill in cooling liquid in the cooling system.
18. Start the engine, wait until it gets warm, check operation of the thermostat and existence of leaks.